Game Review - Lego Rock Band

From silly Lego hairdos to being chased by a clumsy robot T-Rex, Lego Rock Band is obviously not a serious game. It is full of light hearted humour that makes you feel about 5 years old. And I love it. As you traverse through the many different stories and venues in the game, you have to use the power of rock to help people in need. Whether it is helping farmer Joe by getting it to rain on his crops or helping the construction company by demolishing a building, you will rock out to the most happiest and energetic songs out there. This is a great game if you love the Lego series but will surely disappoint the avid and hardcore Rock Band users.

There are many great songs in this game and it definitely has the most enjoyable setlist of any other Rock Band game. My favourite song, Accidentally in Love by Counting Crows made famous by the movie Shrek, is fantastically up beat and I think it defines the template of all the other songs in the game. The game also allows other rock band songs you have on your hard disk. However, it only allows ones that are family oriented so don't expect your Slipknot ones to be playable. You will also require an internet connection if you want to play these added songs which is quite frustrating. If it tries to access these added songs without an internet connection it quits back to the main menu. I was extremely annoyed when I was halfway through a 30 song setlist and I got disconnected from Xbox Live because of my bad internet connection and had to start the setlist all over again.

I remember a while ago playing Lego Star Wars with my sister just because it was a fun way to spend time. To see the silly expression on the Lego people's faces and all the mischief they got into. I also loved watching Eddie Izzard standup on Youtube recreated using Lego mini figures which adds a whole new element of comedy to his jokes. Lego Rock Band kept this style in the game. It focuses on having innocent fun and does silly jokes to keep you interested. In the future, this is the one and only game I will bring to other peoples houses and have some fun with because it is an instant crowd pleaser. Sadly this game has no online play and so focuses on getting the family and friends together to play.

This is also a great game to start yourself into the Rock Band series or if you want to try out a new instrument. I found the auto bass kick extra to be very helpful when using the drums which allows users to concentrate on the pads and disregard the bass pedal. The game also allows you to shorten the songs for those of you who only want the beefy parts. It is these little added extras that will secure Lego Rock Band as the easiest rhythm game out there to pick up and play by new users, no matter what instrument they use. However, bear in mind that this game is a standalone version which means it does not come with any instruments. I would recommend getting The Beatles Rock Band bundle as it comes with the required instruments and some classic songs which you are sure to enjoy. You can also get the instruments separately if needs be.

For me, this game was a nice little nostalgic trip down memory lane. It bring me back to when I used to build Lego sets which my Dad bought when I was a kid. I even went up to my attic after playing Lego Rock Band and started messing around with my old Lego sets. I didn't build much but the game brought back this childishness in me that had long been forgotten about. You can easily spend hours in Lego Rock Band messing around with your band giving them Halloween costumes or dressing them up in cow suits.

Lego Rock Band has a few stupid problems. Such as the restrictions on the content. The fact it is standalone, meaning you will need to be buy the instruments separately, can be a though hurdle to pass for new users. Looking past these issues, I think I will come back to this game in the future as it is one of the easiest games I know to dive straight into. This is not a game for those among you who want a challenging set of new songs to add to their repertoire. It is for the relaxed set of individuals who enjoy an easy-to-play happy game.

Accessibility: 3
Enjoyability: 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's the problem - IE6

Game Review - Shining Force

Eagle - First Draft