Here's the problem - IE6

Yes, before you begin reading, this is another rant about Internet Explorer (IE) 6. The experience I have with this browser compels me to write an article about it. The Internet is such a dynamic place that by not having the most up-to-date software you are missing out on the wonders that Web 2.0 can bring and by having one of the most out-of-date browsers is just asking for trouble.

Just like others before me, I have worked in helpdesk which means I spent most of my time saying “Is it plugged in?” to customers and staff alike. It was such a relief when I started working as a Web Developer as now I spend most of my time saying “Is your browser Internet Explorer 6?” which is a little more exciting but still very annoying. As a Web Developer, I spend a lot more time maintaining code rather than creating it. Even someone with the best foresight in the world cannot create code which can lead to hassle free maintaining. This usually means I will make a small update to some functionality in the website and spend hours on making it work and look nice in IE 6. This also makes me very prejudice to people who only use IE 6.

At the time of IE 6, there wasn't that much versatility in browsers. Of course Microsoft's dominance over the market is still strong but its almost impossible not to find other browsers in this age using things such as Google. People may not like change but its change away from Microsoft and onto others. Diversity is what makes the Internet so interesting and it is diversity which will give the most interesting and productive software. I am not begging you to change your browser, I think of this as advice.

If you are still one of the many people who have only used IE then I urge you to try as many other browsers as possible. If you think you have no control of the browsers you can use, whether you are in an office or in an Internet Cafe, I hope you will at least try to get multiple browsers onto your computer. I recommend using Social Engineering. Click here to view a good way to say goodbye to IE 6 if you use Twitter. Also, if you own a website and want people to update their browser if they are using IE 6 then click here. Maybe one day you might even try a new operating system like Ubuntu or Google Chrome OS. Whatever happens to you, Good luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's the problem - Vegetarians

Game Review - Shining Force